Monday, June 1, 2009

Fabulously Frugal

or Frugally Fabulous, I'm not sure which but that is what I am trying to be. With the help from my dear friend Sarah, I am trying to save some dough!! She was telling me about the "game" she plays one Sunday morning while we were both in the hall outside our Sunday School room trying to quiet our two beautiful babes. She plays the CVS and Wags (Walgreens) game. You sign up for cards and then buy items on sale and earn extra bucks that can go towards future purchases. Sarah told me stories where she walked out of the stores with quite a few items and they actually owed her money. To say the least, I was intrigued. I signed up for my CVS card the next day (have yet to receive it). Needless to say, I kinda fizzeled out on the whole thing until the next week at our social some of the families were saying how they have a $200 budget, some even have a $150 budget, for groceries PER MONTH! I can spend that in 2 weeks. I knew I needed to do something. So I sat down and started my coupon binder. The very next morning I received an invite to Sarah's blog "Lifestyles of the Frugal and Fabulous." This blog is just that, FABULOUS!!!! It is addictive. I had to get my coupon stash built up and I have finally acheived that. So last week I decided to try it out. I went to Wal-Mart and saved $11.80. I thought that was great. That was until I did a little more research. That was small taters. S tries not to pay full price for anything (except maybe meat and milk), that is her goal. I have yet to "map"out my grocery shopping trip. I have realized that is what I am going to have to do, no more quick trips to the grocery store. I stopped by Homeland today and received my rewards card and am ready for double coupons!! I made a trip to Target and Wal-Mart both today with coupons in hand. I saved $14.89. (Of course, I spent $12 of that on an impulse buy, but K needed some shorts!) So, so far I have saved $14.69. (I need a new hair straightner and have told myself I cannot buy it until I save the $70 I'd spend on it.) After that, all the savings are going into a VACATION FUND (my little girl needs to see Mickey Mouse!!) It is actually fun, but I really hope it proves to be beneficial in the long run. I keep telling S she needs to have a "workshop" and if she finally agrees, I will defnitley let you know when and where. OH, and just for giggles....cause I know this is why you all check my blog. God is good!


6 comments:

  1. We've started shopping at Aldi for some things and it is saving us a lot of money! Here are some examples:

    Milk $2.19 vs $3.89 at walmart
    Yogurt .36 vs .50 at walmart
    Chips .99 vs. 2.99 at walmart

    The quality of some things is good and others is not so good. It's just trial and error.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is an Aldi fairly close to us. I told Brian I wanted to go by there and check it out. Their produce looked great in Sunday's flier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woo-hoo...I made your blog. I'm a supa-star!

    ReplyDelete
  4. FYI-- Got a Family Dollar circular yesterday and they have lots of cleaning supplies and detergents on sale cheaper than you can get it at walmart with a coupon. Headed there tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks! I have the insert, will have to look into it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, I just realized my web address isn't listed. Add me to your blogroll so that all of your wonderful friends can check out Lifestyles. :)

    ReplyDelete